Happy New Year! I hope you had a good 2015, and that 2016 is even better.
I don’t usually make resolutions. They don’t work for me, but I can appreciate how it can act as a motivator for some people.
However, I’m putting it out there: 2016 will be a year of firsts for me.
1. I’m going to attack the pile of books I already own. That means I’ll be reading my first John Green book… and I’ll be reading The Hunger Games at some point too. Maybe even Divergent if I still have the nerve.
2. I’m at the point where I can actively seek representation for my writing. With that in mind, it won’t be my first rejection (ugh) but I’m determined to make a good go of succeeding.
3. I’m going to finish writing a book the same year that I started it. This is a personal tick that I need to sort out. It bugs my brain that I eseentially wrote three books in 15 months.. BUT they were either started in 2014 or are still awaiting some serious editing… *bangs head on desk* So for 2016 I’d like to start writing something and have it edited to an ‘ok’ standard by the end of the year.
4. I’m doing a bookstagram challenge on instagram for January. I’m an IG newbie, and I’m loving the learning process. It’s a lot of fun, just kind of feeling my way when it comes to composition, lighting, background, theme… Some photos are a little iffy, but that’s ok. It will be good to look back on at the end of the year and hopefully see some improvement.
5. I won’t be in education. I did my BA and then an MA.. and I was going to apply to do a PhD, but I can’t settle on a subject area or institution. And it’s a lot of cash, so I would be depending heavily on securing a studentship. I want to focus more on just using the time to write rather than stressing out about exams and essay deadlines. Not gonna lie though… I do miss it.
So it’s not exactly a list of resolutions, more like a determination to realise my potential. I guess. Maybe. Nnnghhh.
What about you? Do you have any ‘firsts’ for 2016?